Wednesday, August 29, 2012

British Invasion



The love of our friends across the pond is well known in my household. From the magical word of Harry Potter to the tunes of the new boy band One Direction. My kids have got the equivalent of the 1960s Beatlemania but in 2012 style.



Posters of young British faces strung all over their walls, songs played over and over again so that I even know ever word, and the British accents that the kids have picked up are amazing. You would think that I adopted them from the queen herself.

Round 14

Princess Abby of the house of Brooks has bar far the best British accent of all my children. My husband didn't believe me about her small talent until an dinner out one night. Then at the table at the restaurant she spoke a fluent British accent the whole meal. Showing this off to friends was fun. She even had the British slang down.

One night we were off to Target to get only god knows what. While walking in we saw this big van of Amish People. Yes, they were Amish and they were in a van not a horse in buggy. ( I guess the Amish love Target as much as we do)



Of course this was one of the times Abby went into full British mode and as we walked pass the Amish she started rattling off about having to use the loo. ( I'm assuming this meant she had to go to the bathroom)
The Amish people just looked at me cause I didn't have the accent and she was just chatting away.

Abby: mum, mum, mummy where is the loo.. I have to go poo..

All with this British accent..

Then she spotted the Amish...

Abby: mum, mum, mummy. Why are those people dressed like they are from another time. Ohhhhhh they must be time travelers..

Now remember she was in British mode..
Then before I could stop her she was chatting with this Amish lady with her accent.

Abby: helllloooo dear time traveler. Wellllcooome to Target!

I was so embarrassed that all I could do was pick her up and carry her away. Apologizing to the Amish as we walked into the store.

While we shopped I did my best to explain the Amish to her and her sisters. Taking an extra long time in the store in hopes that the Amish were long gone.

We checked out with no Amish in sight and were heading out the door and there they were loading up in their van.

As we past Abby couldn't control herself and yelled out. ( in British)

Abby: good day, cheeryO, get the van to 88 miles per hour.




(thanks Back to the Future)    

The Amish looked shocked and didn't wave back, but a couple bystanders broke out in laughter.

Yup, that's my kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment