Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Milk to go....

My oldest daughter was born at 31 1/2 weeks. She weighed 4lbs 7oz. She was a tiny peanut. She was healthy for her size, everything was developed, but she was on the jaundice side and had to stay in the hospital for 9 days to be treated.

After 6 days of no sleep, the nurses in the NICU  made me go home. My milk was just really starting to come in, so they sent me home with a hospital breast pump. That by far was one of the longest 24 hours of my life.

I would wake up, pump, and call the hospital every 3 hours to make sure she was still doing good. She was fine every time I called. I couldn't wait till the next morning when my dad would pick me up and we would go back to the hospital to see her or even get to bring her home.

Round 4

Waiting for my father to pick me up to see Bethany seemed like hours.(I would have been there sooner but couldn't drive because I was still healing) I was so ready to get back to the hospital to see for myself that my child was ok, and to hold her. When my father and my stepmother arrived I was waiting on my front porch with the hospitals breast pump and her infant carrier.( just in case she got to go home) I got into the car and we were on out way.

We made it about 5 min down the road when my hormones started going crazy and I started crying. She was so little none of the clothes I had bought for her would fit. (Why was I crying about this??) My dad being the wonderful man that he is said he would take me to Walmart on the way to get her an outfit that fit to bring her home in.

We made it in the store and found the cutest little preemie outfit. My step mother also recommended that they should get me a new bra because my chest was spilling over the one I had on. So we made our way to the women's section and she handed me 3 different ones to try on. Problem was I hadn't pumped that morning because I was hoping to be able to feed my child as soon as I got to the hospital.

Do you know what it is like to be away from your new born baby for 24 hours when your milk is coming in??? I tried on the first bra and then it happened. In the changing room right next to me a baby started to cry. 

What happened in the next few minuets shocked the hell out of me.

My over engorged breast started to spout off like Old Faithful. I grabbed the tags off the bra and kept it on, threw my shirt on and made my way out to my stepmother. She of course new what had happened after she heard the baby start crying. We made a quick check out and headed for the car. Oh My God the pain in my chest was killing me and I began to cry again.

While in the car, doubled over in pain, I just so happened to look over at the hospital breast pump. You would NOT believe what I saw attached to it... Wait for it... A car charger. Oh thank the lord I was saved!!! I grabbed the charger handed it up to my dad and all I said wad plug this in right now. Ripped off my shirt and bra and proceeded to pump my breast while driving down the highway with my father in the front seat and every truck driver honking their horn.

Even a small 6 day old baby can be the cause of embarrassment.. Sorry dad..

Mom 1
Kids 3
Boz- seeing way too much...

No comments:

Post a Comment